Last Updated on
If you have been following my blog for a while, you might notice I did a few tweaks to my theme and content. I added a new page entitled “start a blog” where I share all the tools and resources that I have used when I started building this blog. If you are someone who wants to start a food blog, then, you might find this post helpful.
So, going back to the recipe…
I decided to prepare lechon kawali today, since I was craving for that fried pork goodness – crispy pork skin and tender juicy meat. Lechon Kawali is a Filipino pork dish prepared by boiling pork belly, drying it for a few minutes and then finally deep frying it in hot oil. This is an all-around dish which means that it could be eaten as a main dish any time of the day, it can be served as a “pulutan” or an additional topping to any soup or vegetable dish.
I love preparing lechon kawali because it only requires three ingredients, the pork belly, oil for deep frying and salt for seasoning. You can add a few diced onions and garlic to add flavor to the boiling water if you want but that’s totally optional.
My not-so-favorite part in preparing this dish is during deep-frying. The oil splatters uncontrollably once the meat is submerged so you have to run away from the frying pan before it gets you. When the pork belly turns golden brown, it is time to remove it from the heat. Let it sit for 5 minutes before slicing it into bite-sized chunks and sprinkle with salt. This Lechon Kawali is crispy on the outside and tender juicy on the inside. Serve it with steamed rice and a hot dipping sauce.
- 900 grams pork belly, sliced into 3 thick slices
- cooking oil for deep frying
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Boil Pork Belly
- Place pork belly slices in a heavy pot. Add water enough to cover the meat.
- Set heavy pot over high heat and let it boil. Reduce heat to medium and let it cook for an hour.
- When done, remove pork belly from the pot and transfer in a colander to drain off excess water. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Pour cooking oil in a deep frying pan enough to cover the meat. Set it over medium
- When the oil is already hot, add the pork belly. Deep-fry for 15 minutes or until its golden brown and crispy.
- Let the meat sit for 5 minutes to cool down. Slice into chunks and sprinkle with salt. Serve with soy sauce - vinegar dipping sauce with sliced onions and tomatoes. Enjoy!